This year why not incorporate those beautiful flowers into a fun craft you can do with your child? You can create a sweet flower wreath to display on a wall or hang on your front door. You will need to assist young children, as we will be using a hot glue gun when assembling the
This is an easy craft using things easily found around your home.
- Cardboard – I used a recycled cereal box.
- Pencil or crayon to trace with.
- Any round household items you can use to trace circles. You will need two different sizes to draw inner and outer circles for wreath.
- Glue – I used a hot glue gun for quick results.
Trace a wreath shape onto your cardboard using two different sized round objects. I used a small plate and a cereal bowl.
Use scissors to cut out your wreath base.
Apply glue to your base in small sections and attach flowers. You can also add any extra adornments, like bits of lace or broken costume jewelry to jazz it up.
Here are some other ideas for using your Mother’s Day flowers in a craft sure to please mothers and children alike!
- Make a lei, bracelets or crown of flowers in the traditional method of a flower chain. You could also use those left over trash bag twisties or pipe cleaners to attach flowers together.
- Glue a flower onto a piece of felt and attach to a pin or barrette.
Press flowers by carefully layering them between two pieces of paper or wax paper. You may insert the layered flowers and paper into the pages of a book and then stack several heavy books on top of the flowers or just lay them on a flat surface and stack the heavy books on top of the paper. I have always used our encyclopedias because they are large and heavy, but of course you may use any books. Just be sure there is plenty of weight to get the best results. Leave undisturbed for a couple weeks. Once the flowers have been pressed, you may use them in any of the following projects:
- Create a flower journal using pretty paper and bits of ribbon or lace.
- Attach to homemade cards
- Use glue or Modge Podge to attach to jewelry boxes, candles, etc.
An easy way to dry flowers it to tie a string around the stems of the flowers or bouquet of flowers you wish to dry. Hang them upside down in a warm, dry area for several weeks. A closet is a good place to hang them so they are out of the way and remain undisturbed. Here are a couple of fun projects you can create using your dried flowers,
- Create your own potpourri adding spices like cinnamon sticks or cloves and other botanicals such as seeds, bark or leaves.
- Gather and arrange your dried flowers into a pretty bouquet and tie with a ribbon or lace. Display in a pretty vase or on a shelf or bookcase.
Creating something new from your Mother’s Day Flowers is an opportunity to create not only a longer lasting gift, but everlasting memories.